The shooting occurred Thursday in Jenin and was apparently filmed by a television channel, OHCHR Spokesperson Jérémy Laurence said journalists in Geneva.
He said an internal investigation had been announced following the incident, but that statements made by a senior Israeli official sought to absolve the security forces of any responsibility, “raising serious concerns about the credibility of any future study or investigation carried out by an entity that is not completely independent of the government.”
Increase in murders
Mr. Laurence noted that the killings of Palestinians by Israeli security forces and settlers in the occupied West Bank have increased without anyone being held to account.
OHCHR has verified that Israeli forces and settlers have killed 1,030 Palestinians there, including 233 children, since October 7, 2023.
“Impunity for the illegal use of force by Israeli security forces and the ever-increasing violence by Israeli settlers must end,” he said.
Additionally, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk called for independent, prompt and effective investigations and for those responsible to be held fully accountable for their actions.
Originally published at Almouwatin.com







