Thursday, February 19, 2026

Top 5 This Week

- Advertisement -
spot_img

Related Posts

- Advertisement -

UN warns Sudan war enters deadlier phase as fighting spreads to Kordofan

Briefing of Security Council Senior UN political and humanitarian officials on Monday described a sharply deteriorated security and humanitarian situation, marked by indiscriminate attacks, expanding territorial gains by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and escalating dangers for civilians, aid workers and peacekeepers.

THE the conflict broke out in April 2023 amid a power struggle between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the RSF. Since then, fighting has spread across the country, devastating cities, displacing millions of people and plunging parts of the country – including parts of Darfur – into famine conditions.

Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Khaled Khiari said fears that the dry season would lead to increased fighting had been confirmed.

Each passing day brings staggering levels of violence and destruction,“, Mr. Khiari told the ambassadors.Civilians are enduring immense and unimaginable suffering, with no end in sight.»

Kordofan emerges as a new hot spot

In recent weeks, the conflict has focused on the Kordofan region, where the RSF has made significant territorial gains, capturing Babanusa in Western Kordofan on December 1, followed a week later by the seizure of Heglig in Southern Kordofan – a key oil field and processing hub for South Sudan’s crude exports.

Kadugli and Dilling, both in Southern Kordofan, are now under increasingly strict siege conditions, with continued bombings and drone strikes. Reports indicate that SAF personnel withdrew from some areas to South Sudan, while South Sudanese forces moved into Sudan to protect Heglig’s oil infrastructure.

These developments reflect the increasingly complex nature of the conflict and its growing regional dimensions,Mr Khiari warned, warning that Sudan’s neighbors could be drawn into a wider war if the situation is not resolved.

Broadcast of the Security Council meeting.

Deadly drone strikes, peacekeepers killed

A particularly alarming trend, according to UN officials, is the increasing use of drones by both sides. On December 4, a kindergarten in Kalogi, South Kordofan, was struck, followed by an attack on the hospital treating the victims.

More than 100 people were killed in this despicable attack, including 63 children,» said Mr. Khiari.

Drone attacks have also directly targeted UN personnel. On December 13, strikes hit a United Nations logistics base in Kadugli, killing six Bangladeshi peacekeepers serving in the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and injuring nine others.

UNISFA has launched an investigation amid difficult security conditions, while all UN personnel have been evacuated from Kadugli until further notice. Mr. Khiari stressed that attacks on peacekeepers “may constitute war crimes” and demanded accountability.

The crisis in Sudan at a glance

  • Increased travel: Hundreds of people have fled villages in Southern Kordofan in recent days; more than 15,000 people have arrived in White Nile State since the end of October.
  • Exodus from Darfur: More than 107,000 people were displaced from El Fasher and surrounding areas between late October and early December.
  • What’s new: At least 2,500 displaced people reached the town of Sheria in South Darfur last week, in urgent need of food, health care and relief.
  • Deadly drone strikes: More than 100 civilians killed in drone attacks between December 4 and 16 in South Kordofan – a kindergarten and a hospital were hit. Separate drone strikes hit a UN base and market in Al Malha, North Darfur, killing peacekeepers and civilians.
  • Healthcare under attack: Sixty-five attacks on health facilities this year, killing more than 1,600 people.

For more information, visit our Focus section of UN News on the conflict in Sudan

The humanitarian crisis worsens

Edem Wosornu, director of crisis response at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), says civilian suffering spread across multiple fronts, with Kordofan becoming a new epicenter of humanitarian needs.

As well as targeting civilians, aid workers and convoys have also been struck – injuring aid workers, seriously affecting rescue programs and forcing UN agencies and NGOs to move staff from several locations due to insecurity.

Meanwhile, the situation in Darfur remains catastrophic. The UN continues to receive reports of massacres and sexual violence following RSF’s takeover of El Fasher earlier this year, including atrocities committed during the April offensive against the Zamzam IDP camp.

Calls for protection, access and peace

As the conflict approaches 1,000 days, the two officials urged the Council to act decisively to protect civilians, ensure humanitarian access and press for an immediate cessation of hostilities.

The Council must send a strong and unequivocal message,” Ms Wosornu said: “that attacks against civilians and violations of international humanitarian law will not be tolerated.»

Mr. Khiari echoed the call, urging international donors on both sides to use their influence to end the fighting and support a Sudanese-led political process.

The UN is fully engaged,” he said, “work with all international actors to end the violence – in the interests of the Sudanese people and regional stability.»

Originally published at Almouwatin.com

- Advertisement -

Popular Articles